The Presidium of the AOSR announces with deep sadness that on 1 August 2022 he passed away Prof. univ. Dr. Carmen-Doina GINGHINĂ, Full member of the AOSR, section of medical sciences.
Born in Râmnicu Vâlcea, on 24 July 1948, Carmen Ginghină attended the Faculty of Medicine “Carol Davila” in Bucharest – graduating brilliantly. He did his specialty of cardiology with great dedication. He completed his PhD thesis on “The value of medical procedures in limiting the infarct zone” in 1994. He led the Cardiology Clinic of the Emergency Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases “Prof C.C. Iliescu”, helping countless patients to overcome their suffering and educating many generations of doctors to learn cardiology with patience and understanding. He was President of the Romanian Society of Cardiology and Editor-in-Chief of the Romanian Journal of Cardiology. He is the coordinator of the ESC Guidelines for Romania.
Scientific activity and publications: seven books as first author: – Congenital heart disease – a practical approach; – Diabetic heart; – Diagnosis and treatment of acute myocardial infarction; – Pericardiology; – Essentials of echocardiography; – Pulmonary hypertension; – Imaging in cardiac patients.
Five collaborative books; 137 scientific papers, of which 42 in ISI and Pubmed indexed journals; 485 communications, of which 144 abroad. He has participated in numerous international studies and programmes (Monica, Audit, Corona, In-Time, Braud, Discovery, Seniors, Duall, Everrest, Current, etc.). He was director of several grants (CNCSIS, PN II) that facilitated the organization of an echocardiography laboratory at European standards and the pursuit of original hypotheses.
Scientific contributions: initiated original research that marked the interpretation of physiological processes/diseases: electron microscopic study of platelets in acute coronary syndromes; use of radionuclide techniques for the evaluation of patients with ischaemic heart disease and congenital heart disease; clinical and paraclinical research on myocardial infarction with permeable coronaries (including its mechanical complications); study of the Coanda effect in colour Doppler echocardiography; first large-scale work in Romania on fibrinolytic treatment in acute myocardial infarction; first descriptions of cases of myocardial noncompaction; patented invention (together with prof. C. Carp); external pacemaker triggered by cardiac massage, study of ventricular torsion/detorsion by modern echocardiographic techniques.
During his tenure as President of the Romanian Society of Cardiology, the Society gained a privileged position among other national and international societies. He was director of the first European Echocardiography Course in Romania and was president of the World Congress of Echocardiography 2014, Bucharest.
- UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR CARDIOLOGY
- DOCTOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
- PRESIDENT OF THE ROMANIAN SOCIETY OF CARDIOLOGY (2002-2005)
- MEMBER OF THE EUROPEAN SOCIETY OF CARDIOLOGY
- FELLOW OF THE EUROPEAN SOCIETY OF CARDIOLOGY
- FELLOW OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY
- CORRESPONDING MEMBER OF THE FRENCH SOCIETY OF CARDIOLOGY
- MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY
- MEMBER OF THE INDIAN ACADEMY OF ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY
- MEMBER OF THE ACADEMY OF SCIENTISTS OF ROMANIA
- CHAIRMAN OF THE MS CARDIOLOGY COMMISSION (2000-2002)
- MEDICAL DIRECTOR CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE INSTITUTE “PROF. DR. C.C. ILIESCU” (2000-2001)
- DEPUTY EDITOR OF THE ROMANIAN JOURNAL OF CARDIOLOGY
- MEMBER OF THE EDITORIAL COLLECTIVE OF THE PUBLICATIONS: ROMANIAN JOURNAL OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, JAMA – ROMANIAN EDITION, JACC – RO, MEDICINA INTERNĂ, REVISTA DE CERCETĂRI MEDICO-CHIRURGICALE (Timișoara), REVISTA ROMÂNĂ DE ARITMII, ELECTROPHYSIOLOGIE CARDIACĂ ȘI PACING, SĂNĂTATEA INIMII, CARDIO.RO INFOCARD, (Editor-in-Chief)
Sincere condolences to the family! God rest her soul!